The City of Hartsville provides residential garbage pickup as well as recycling pickup.
Green roll carts are for garbage and are supplied by the city. Blue roll carts are for recyclable materials and can be requested by calling Environmental Services at 843.383.3019.
- Utility Service Agreement
- Utility Disconnection Request Form
- Solid Waste Special Collections on Services Application
The City of Hartsville has designated days for pick up of trash and recyclables once a week. Roll carts should be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. on the day for your area. Backyard garbage pickup is available to the elderly and disabled homeowners with written verification from their doctor when no one in the home is able to assist in the placement of the cart at the curb. The doctor’s explanation should include the name and address of the resident and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact 843.383.3019 to report damage to roll carts and recycling bins.
Find the 2023 pickup schedule below:
Not sure which Pickup Zone your street is in? Click here for a full list of streets per zone.
Drop Off Locations
Darlington County operates 12 drop off locations for both trash and recycling free of charge for Darlington County residents. Three of these locations are located just outside of the City limits.
Old Ruby Road Station, 1218 Old Ruby Road, Hartsville, SC 29550
Bay Road Station, 1332 Bay Road, Hartsville, SC 29550
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Pine Ridge Station, 2229 West Old Camden Road, Hartsville, SC 29550
Hours of Operation: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Sonoco Recycling, a unit of Sonoco, accepts materials from the City of Hartsville’s recycling program. The company collects over 3 million tons of material each year.
Recycling bins and roll carts are emptied at the curb bi-weekly on the same day as garbage. Recycling should not be bagged in any type of plastic bag or it will be rejected by our recycling partner.
Items which may be recycled in the City of Hartsville include:
- Mixed paper: office paper, newspapers and inserts, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, phone books
- Empty milk and juice jugs
- Clean, dry cardboard, corrugated, chipboard, pizza boxes (not greasy or waxed cardboard)
- Clean plastic containers and attached lids #1 – #7 (plastic furniture and plastic children’s toys accepted; no plastic bags or wrap, loose lids, or Styrofoam)
- Clean aluminum and steel cans and attached lids (no other metals)
2023 Yard Debris Introductory Period
Hartsville City Council has resolved to repeal and replace sections of its Code of Ordinances related to the City’s Yard Debris Collection Service. Below are key changes that will take effect January 1, 2023:
- All loose debris such as leaves, grass clippings, pine straw, shall be enclosed in compostable bags or a city provided container for collection. Roll carts specifically identified for the use of loose debris can be obtained from the public services department upon request. Yard debris bags with be available at no charge to residents during the 2023 Introductory Period. Bags may be picked up in person at the Public Works Department, located at 402 South Leesburg Street in Hartsville. Yard debris roll carts and bags will be collected weekly.
- Limbs, cuttings, shrubbery, etc., are not to exceed three inches in diameter and six feet in length and shall be placed at the front property line for pickup. Limbs, cuttings, and shrubbery will be collected bi-weekly, opposite of recycling weeks. Loose branches exceeding the length and diameter stated in this section will not be picked up and must be disposed of by the property owner or occupant.
- Furniture, including but not limited to, box springs, mattresses, recliners, tables, dressers, etc. will be collected bi-weekly, opposite of recycling weeks. Furniture should be separated from all other waste. Furniture should not be put out for collection earlier than 48 hours before designated collection day.
At this time, each household is limited to one yard debris roll cart due to limited inventory. To request a yard debris roll cart please contact the Sanitation Department at 843.383.3006, option 3.
If you have any further questions, please contact Vincent Brock, Sanitation Manager, at 843.383.3006, option 3 or at email@example.com
Computers, monitors, printers, microwaves, and televisions cannot be placed in the garbage for collection. These items may be taken to any Darlington County Recycling Center for disposal, or may be picked up by Environmental Services for a fee. Call 843.383.3019 for pricing and scheduling. Other small household items such as toasters, hairdryers, etc. may be placed in the garbage for disposal.
For more information, visit the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control’s website on electronics disposal, which includes a list of local drop-off sites.
Wheels for Wishes provides an opportunity to donate cars to benefit Make A Wish.