Green roll carts are for garbage and are supplied by the city. Blue roll carts are for recyclable materials and can be requested by calling Environmental Services at 843.383.3019.
- Utility service agreement
- Utility disconnection form
- Solid waste special collections on services application
The City of Hartsville has designated days for pick up of trash and recyclables once a week. Roll carts should be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. on the day for your area. Backyard garbage pickup is available to the elderly and disabled homeowners with written verification from their doctor when no one in the home is able to assist in the placement of the cart at the curb. The doctor’s explanation should include the name and address of the resident and can be faxed to 843.339.2880.
Please contact 843.383.3019 to report damage to roll carts and recycling bins.
Sonoco Recycling, a unit of Sonoco, is a sponsor of the City of Hartsville’s recycling program. The company collects over 3 million tons of material each year.
Bins and roll carts are emptied at the curb once a week on the same day as garbage.
Items which may be recycled in the City of Hartsville include:
- Mixed paper: office paper, newspapers and inserts, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, phone books
- Empty milk and juice cartons
- Clean, dry cardboard, corrugated, chipboard, pizza boxes (no cardboard lined with wax)
- Clean plastic containers and attached lids #1 – #7 (plastic furniture and plastic children’s toys accepted, no plastic bags or wrap, loose lids or Styrofoam)
- Clean aluminum and steel cans and attached lids (no other metals)
- Clean glass bottles, jugs and jars with lids removed (no other glass or ceramic items)
2017 holiday trash pickup changes
Services are provided year-round from Monday to Friday, excepting changed schedules before or after a holiday. Below are the changes for all trash pickup schedule changes for 2017. Please note that this is for trash only, recycling will be collected on the regular day the following week.
Holiday schedule changes for 2017 are as follows:
- New Year’s Day – Monday, Jan. 2 moved to Tuesday, Jan. 3
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Monday, Jan. 16 moved to Tuesday, Jan. 17
- President’s Day – Monday, Feb. 20 moved to Tuesday, Feb. 21
- Good Friday – Friday, Apr. 14 moved to Thursday, Apr. 13
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 29 moved to Tuesday, May 30
- Independence Day – Tuesday, July 4 moved to Wednesday, July 5
Changes to trash and recycling pickup will be made in 2017 due to new equipment being purchased. A new schedule will be mailed to individuals.
Collection routes typically run every 7 to 10 business days, except during leaf season (December – February). Limbs should be no more than 3 inches in diameter and 6 feet in length. Yard waste must be kept separate from other trash and placed at the resident’s or business’ front property line. Raked leaves can also be placed at the front property line in one pile for collection, but must be separate from other types of yard debris. Bricks, rocks, concrete, dirt and construction material cannot be collected. Yard debris is not to be placed in or on any storm drain, gutter, street or sidewalk.
Guidelines and current scheduling may be obtained by calling 843.383.3019.
Box springs, mattresses, chairs, and tables cannot be set out for regular pickup. Please call 843.383.3019 for a pickup schedule and fee. The City will not collect white goods such as refrigerators, washers and dryers, or stoves.
Computers, monitors, printers and televisions cannot be placed in the garbage for collection. These items may be taken to any Darlington County Recycling Center for disposal, or may be picked up by Environmental Services for a fee. Call 843.383.3019 for pricing and scheduling. Other small household items such as toasters, microwaves, etc. may be placed in the garbage for disposal.
Wheels for Wishes provides an opportunity to donate cars to benefit Make A Wish.