The Planning department proposes and implements plans that improve and preserve the quality of life in City of Hartsville. Promoting orderly and controlled development allows us to plan for current and future needs. The department is responsible for zoning issues, issuing permits, initiating annexations, as well as developing a Comprehensive Plan in coordination with the Planning and Zoning Commission. They also ensure all construction and renovation projects meet state guidelines, ICC standards, land use ordinances, and local regulations before work begins.
Tax maps and zoning maps are available for viewing in the Business Navigator.
Plans & Studies
Comprehensive Plan – Hartsville 20/20
Reviewed and recommended by the Hartsville Planning Commission, this comprehensive plan for the City of Hartsville was adopted by City Council on February 12, 2008. It covers how Hartsville will remain attractive, progressive and economically vibrant in the coming years through for economic development and residents as well as natural resources, cultural resources and infrastructure. Learn more.
Historic Butler District Revitalization
This neighborhood revitalization strategy was created by a Community Planning Assistance Team, a group of volunteer experts from the American Planning Association, after a period of gathering information and ideas from the residents of South Hartsville in 2014. Learn more.
- CPAT’s South Hartsville Heritage Alive Neighborhood Revitalization Plan Presentation (opens in Google Slides)
- South Hartsville Heritage Alive: A Neighborhood Revitalization Strategy (PDF)
- South Hartsville Housing and Affordability Study: View Report (PDF) | View Appendix (PDF)
Strategic Investment Zone Incentive Program
The Strategic Investment Zone (SIZ) incentive program has been developed to provide decent, safe, and affordable housing to persons of low to moderate income in areas where new housing contraction opportunities have been overlooked. These ares are identified in the Strategic Investment Zone map. Accommodated types of housing are single family detached, single family attached, mixed use, duplexes, condominiums, and townhouses.
- Strategic Investment Overlay Zone Design Guidelines (PDF)
- Strategic Investment Zone Ordinance Program Overview (PDF)
- Strategic Investment Zone Program Application (PDF)
- Strategic Investment Zone map (View JPG) (PDF coming soon)
Economic Development Resources
- View the Zoning and Municipal Districts map below and click to view the map online in a new window. (opens at arcgis.com)
- Ordinance (link coming soon)
- Verification Letters
- Sign Regulations
- Comprehensive Plan
- Design Guidelines (link coming soon)
- Plan Review & Design (link coming soon)
- Subdivision Ordinance (link coming soon)