The Planning department proposes and implements plans that improve and preserve the quality of life in City of Hartsville. Promoting orderly and controlled development allows us to plan for current and future needs. The department is responsible for zoning issues, issuing permits, initiating annexations, as well as developing a Comprehensive Plan in coordination with the Planning and Zoning Commission. They also ensure all construction and renovation projects meet state guidelines, ICC standards, land use ordinances, and local regulations before work begins.
Tax maps and zoning maps are available for viewing in the Business Navigator.
Plans & Studies
Comprehensive Plan – Hartsville 20/20
Reviewed and recommended by the Hartsville Planning Commission, this comprehensive plan for the City of Hartsville was adopted by City Council on February 12, 2008. It covers how Hartsville will remain attractive, progressive and economically vibrant in the coming years through for economic development and residents as well as natural resources, cultural resources and infrastructure. Learn more.
Historic Butler District Revitalization
This neighborhood revitalization strategy was created by a Community Planning Assistance Team, a group of volunteer experts from the American Planning Association, after a period of gathering information and ideas from the residents of South Hartsville in 2014. The group’s original presentation is available here, or the Chicera Report here. (links coming soon) Learn more.
- Strategic Investment Overlay Zone (Design Guidelines) (coming soon)
- Strategic Investment Zone Program Application (PDF)
- South Hartsville Heritage Alive: A Neighborhood Revitalization Strategy (coming soon)
- South Hartsville Housing and Affordability Study (coming soon)
Economic Development Resources
- Sidewalk Dining (link coming soon)
- Comprehensive Plan (link coming soon)
- Design Guidelines (link coming soon)
- Plan Review & Design (link coming soon)
- Subdivision Ordinance (link coming soon)