Local Accommodations Tax, Local Hospitality Tax – Accommodations taxes are collected by the State of South Carolina and the City of Hartsville, and a Local Hospitality Tax is also collected by the City of Hartsville. These funds are allocated for a variety of purposes, including advertising, promotion and tourism.
Sunday Alcohol Sales – More info coming soon
Sidewalk Dining Permits – These permits may be obtained for establishments in the downtown (B-1) district.
Smoke-Free Hartsville Ordinance – This ordinance prohibits smoking in public places and places of employment.
Federal & State Regulations
Several federal and state requirements exist for those who plan to hire employees. Employers must file a form SS-4 with the Internal Revenue Service and the IRS will assign an employer identification number to your business. You will be liable for Federal withholding taxes and FICA. The toll free number to order the SS-4 form is 1-800-424-FORM (3676).
Retail licenses are required by some businesses and are issued by the SC Department of Revenue.
Restaurants, grocery stores, or other businesses that handle food must obtain the approval of the health department prior to operations. If any alcohol is served, an ABC permit is required by state law.
Many professions and contractors must also be licensed by the State of South Carolina, and to work in Hartsville contractors must obtain a SC State Contractors or Home Builder’s license prior to approval for a city business license.
- Main Street Hartsville
- Greater Hartsville Chamber of Commerce
- Darlington County Economic Development Partnership
- National Federal of Independent Businesses
- North Eastern Strategic Alliance
- S.C. Department of Commerce
- S.C. Small Business Development Center
- S.C. Business One Stop
- S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control
- S.C. Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
- S.C. Department of Revenue
- S.C. Secretary of State
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- U.S. Small Business Administration