Zoning regulations govern how land can be used in various geographic areas of the city limits of Hartsville. The regulations might govern building sizes, off-street parking requirements, or business hours. Specific regulations for any given zoning district are detailed in the City of Hartsville Zoning Ordinance.
Why Zoning Regulations?
Zoning regulations govern how land can be used in various geographic areas of the city limits of Hartsville called “zoning districts.”
Zoning regulations might:
- govern sizes and shapes of buildings
- limit the number of units or apartments that can exist on a property
- require the accommodation of off street parking
- set controls on planting street trees under certain circumstances
- specify how late a business can remain open at nights
For each use of land in any given zoning district, zoning regulations are specified in detail in the City of Hartsville Zoning Ordinance.
The zoning ordinance specifies the permitted use, conditional use, or uses allowed by special exceptions. Therefore, knowing the zoning of your property will help you understand what’s allowed and what specific limit may apply to your residential or commercial project.
- View the Zoning and Municipal Districts map below or click to view the map online in a new window. (opens at arcgis.com)
- Zoning Ordinance and Regulations (opens at municode.com)
- Verification Letters
- Sign and Facade Regulations
Zoning Verification Letters
A zoning verification letter is a written response to a request regarding the current land use and zoning for a specific property including information on variances, special permits, exceptions, ordinances or conditions, and violations.
Please outline your request and include the property address and Tax Map Number.
For zoning verification letters we use a standard letter response. If you would like to include specific language or information on the letter, please specify that in your letter request. It takes 1 -2 weeks to process this type or request.
Request for a zoning verification letter should be submitted in writing using your company letterhead addressed and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Business Navigator, Attn: Brenda Kelley, P.O. Drawer 2497, Hartsville, SC 29550.