The City of Hartsville allows for downtown outdoor cafés to obtain free permits for sidewalk dining as a way of building a more inviting and active downtown business district activity.
Businesses may apply for permitted sidewalk dining areas in which prepared food and alcohol may be served. Design elements of the dining areas must be approved by the City of Hartsville Architecture Review Board when considering the appropriateness of design and the dining area’s relation to its immediate surroundings. Application deadlines for consideration by the Architecture Review Board are generally the second Wednesday of the month, with meetings to consider applications taking
Sidewalk dining permits are free, for both the application and annual renewal, for businesses in the downtown B1 zoning district. Applications must be authorized by the business owner and the building owner, if different.
Beyond the design elements of tables, chairs, awnings, umbrellas and signage, the permits have additional requirements as well, including:
- Permits are available only to businesses maintaining City of Hartsville business licenses
- Permits require general liability of insurance of no less than $1 million per occurrence
- Sidewalk dining areas must maintain adequate space for two-way pedestrian traffic, with a minimum of 4 feet of passing area.
- Sidewalk dining is allowed only between 6 a.m. and midnight.
- Business owners are responsible for the cleanliness of the sidewalk dining area.
- Permits may be revoked with 30 days’ notice for businesses not complying with rules and regulations.
Click to download the Sidewalk Dining Permit Rules and Regulations (PDF).
Click here to access the Sidewalk Dining Permit Application form.
Please visit this page for information on sidewalk vendor permits.
For questions and more information, contact Brenda Kelley, City of Hartsville Planning and Zoning Administrator, at 843.383.3009 or firstname.lastname@example.org.