- There is a required $25 fee for all Special Event Permits. Civic and non-profit organizations are exempt from this fee with proof of 501(c)(3) status and a federal tax-exempt identification number.
- This application must be submitted at least thirty (30) business days prior to the event.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Completion and submittal of this application does not guarantee approval.
- Any event located on city owned or maintained property is required to provide a certificate of general/property liability insurance for one million ($1,000,000) dollars and workers compensation with statutory limits, no exclusions, with the City named as additional insured on applicable liability coverages. Contact local providers for more information. A policy can also be purchased through TULIP at OneBeacon Entertainment using ID code 0501-668.
- Please notify the Business Navigator (email, 843.383.3025) if there is an event change (time, date(s), location, route, etc.) Inaccurate and/or deviation from final approval may result in immediate revocation of the permit; the event may be invalidated and cannot proceed.
- S.C. Department of Transportation (SCDOT) approval is required for street closures, or events with people in the street, such as a block party or race. The SCDOT Parade Form is available here.
- Smoking is not allowed at events requiring a special event permit.
- Bonfires must be approved by Fire Marshal at Hartsville Fire Department, 843.383.3000.
- Vehicles or cookers cannot be driven on grass or sidewalks at Burry Park.
- A Vendor’s Permit fee is $25. Each vendor at the event must have a permit; permits are obtained by the vendor and are available through an online application or the Business Navigator at 843.383.3025.
Required. An event map is required for all special event permit applications. The map should show the event location with indicators for where vendors, stages, tents, trash bins, entrances, barricades, and other features are located.
Sometimes required. A liability insurance policy is required if you are serving alcohol at an event on City of Hartsville property. If not on City property, having a liability policy is still strongly recommended. A policy can be purchased through TULIP at OneBeacon Entertainment using ID code 0501-668.
SCDOT Parade Application
Sometimes required. S.C. Department of Transportation (SCDOT) approval is required for any street closures or traffic changes such as races, block parties, or other events with people in the street. Please fill out the separate SCDOT Parade form, which must be used even for non-parade events requiring street closure, and attach the completed form here. A blank parade form can be dowloaded here.
Showmobile Stage Rental
Sometimes required. A completed Rental Contract Application is required to use the City's Showmobile mobile stage. Please fill out the separate form and attach the completed form here. A blank form can be dowloaded here.
Attach a document with a map showing the location and layout of the event and related elements. PDF files are preferred, but Word documents, image files, or other similar document types are accepted.
If you already have your insurance policy in place, attached a copy of it here to expedite the application process. PDF files are preferred.
Attach your completed SCDOT Parade Application if streets are to be blocked off for your event. PDF files are preferred.
Attach your completed Showmobile Stage Rental Contract application if applicable for your event. PDF files are preferred.
Note that the description below is required. Describe the type and size of the event including the specific location, area used, entertainment, etc.
Indicate wether one or more inflatables (A.K.A bounce or jump house) will be used at this event.
There are special requirements for events that have inflatables. You must contact Gina Tiller at 843.383.3015 to discuss those requirements before using inflatables at your event. Due to liability concerns, the requirements include but are not limited to:
- A copy of the inflatables vendor's insurance policy must be provided before this application will be approved.
- A representative from the vendor must be on-site for the duration of the event.
Only one (1) banner is allowed on the event site 7 days prior to the event. The banner should be take down 24 hours after the event has taken place; banners and signs must be approved by contacting the Business Navigator at 843.383.3025.
Event organizers must arrange for the rental, delivery, and retrieval of portable restrooms. If they will be used, be sure to note their locations on the attached map.
Will food items be cooked, prepared, distributed, or sold at event?
Outdoor cooking must meet S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) standards. For more information on these standards, contact DHEC at 843.661.4858.
If using propane gas, you must have at least one (1) approved and certified fire extinguisher for every two (2) cooking stations while maintaining a three (3) foot clearance for any and all combustible and ignition sources.
Cooking stations shall be no closer than 10 feet from any buildings means of entrance/exit.
Describe steps being taken to ensure fire safety at the event.
Will any type of alcohol be served at the event?
SC State law requires sponsors to obtain a temporary license prior to conducting an event (public or private); visit the SC DOR or call 803.898.5864.
If the event is held on City of Hartsville property, a liquor liability insurance policy is required, and can be purchased through TULIP at OneBeacon Entertainment using ID code 0501-668 or from an insurer authorized to do business in the state of South Carolina.
Please note that SCDHEC, SCDOR, and HPD have authority to visit any event to insure compliance with alcohol rules.
Describe steps being taken to encourage safe drinking and prevent underage drinking: ex. tickets, armbands, or security.
Vendor's permits are obtained by the vendor; a $25 fee applied to each permit and each vendor at the event must have a permit. Permit applications are available through an online application or the Business Navigator at 843.383.3025.
Please list each vendor that will be at the event and what they will be vending.
City Services Requested
Select whether or not temporary water service is needed at the event.
Select whether or not the City's Showmobile mobile stage is needed at the event.
To rent the City's mobile stage for your event, complete the separate Snowmobile Stage Rental Contract application form available here (opens in new window), complete it, and attached it above.
Explain the needs for barricades, temporary electricity or water, or the mobile stage if applicable.
Notes on fees:
- Roll-carts are available at $10 per cart with a 10 cart maximum unless otherwise approved. Environmental Services: 843.383.3019
- Crowd/traffic control/police assistance - $25 per officer, per hour. Police Department: 843.383.3011
- Race, marches, or other events requiring closure or traffic/pedestrian control - $50 total flat fee
- Byerly Park, Burry Park, and Pride Park have limited utility availability. Provisions to areas without electricity and running water may be provided, if possible, with a $50 fee.
- A Vendor’s License Fee is $25; permits should be obtained by the vendor and are available through the Business Navigator at 843.383.3025.
- Festivals or events held for two (2) or more consecutive days are assessed $25 for each additional day.
Hold Harmless Clause
Permitter/organization hereby shall assume all risks incidental to or in connection with the permitted activity and shall be solely responsible for damages, or injury, of whatever kind or nature to person or property directly or indirectly arising out of or in connection with the permitted activity or the conduct of permittee’s operation. Permitter hereby expressly agrees to defend and save the City harmless from any penalties for violation of law, ordinance, or regulation affecting its activity and from any and all claims, suits, loss of damages, or injuries directly or indirectly arising out of or in connection with the permitted activity or conduct of its operation or resulting from the negligence or intentional acts or omission of permittee or its officers, agents, and employees.
Select "Yes" to indicate that you have read, understand, and agree to the terms of this application, the Hold Harmless Clause, and event rules as described.